Sunday, November 29, 2009

I Passed The Finish Line!

I won! No, you don't get a special price when you finish a NaNoWriMo novel. "Winner" pops up on the screen after you paste in your novel and the word calculator verifies that you have indeed written 50,000 words.

My novel about Sam and Stella is done, as a rough draft. I am proud of myself! It was hard work to write a story from beginning to end and flesh it out to 1,700 words every day for a month.

Now I know what it means to have writers block. It hit me hard this last week. I couldn't move the story forward. It was just not cooperating. I was bored and my head was blank. And it didn't help that I was distracted with Thanksgiving. Last Wednesday and Thursday, very few words got typed on the novel. I felt the novel slipping away from me; all of a sudden I had to make up some 3,000 words over the weekend, and in the brain-jammed state I was in, I didn't think it was going to happen.

Fortunately, my daughter came to my rescue. She too has been part of NaNoWriMo, but in the youth writing group. Her goal was 4,000 words, which she past with ease --it was though to be supportive with such a rocket writer living under the same roof! No, just kidding! --I'm very proud and happy that she likes to write. Her finish motivated me to finish my novel.
Whatever it takes, I thought to myself. I can't tell Matilda that I gave up. What kind of role model would I be?
It was just to bite down and start the long road to the finish line.

Finishing is important. If nothing else, it builds endurance to stick something out even when it hurts. My novel about Sam and Stella was just practise for the future. Now I know what it takes and that I can do it. My writing will get better and someday all my skills will converge into a masterpiece. Until then, remember my name!

No comments:

Post a Comment