Saturday, November 14, 2009

NaNoWriMo Week Two Update

Slow and steady wins the race. This is my mantra right now as I am moving towards the mid-point of my NaNoWriMo novel: 25,000 words.

So how does it feel to be a writer? Frustrating. Every day I ask myself: "How do I move this story forward?" I keep getting stuck. My internal editor is constantly there whispering in my ear: "This story isn't going anywhere. It's boring. You can't write. Just give it up." But I'm determined to finish my first bad novel. And then I have to write a second bad novel, a third, and a fourth, and a few more.

A writing guru, I read a while back, wrote that it takes 1 million words to become a good writer. If he's right, I have many more words to go.

Here is an excerpt from Sam and Stella:

“The letter was signed Stella Walker. Do you know anything about this woman?”
Miss Emily stirred her coffee.
“No, not much. She was a young pregnant girl from down south somewhere.” She took a sip. “I believe it was Florida. You're parents were next on the list.”
“Next on the list?”
“Yes. Back then, my church helped a Christian adoption network called The Good Samaritans. There was a waiting list with couples who were interested in adoption. Most of the mothers were teenagers, but some were convicts with long prison sentences.”
“Did they save the records of these adoptions? I mean; is it possible to find my mother?”
“Sure. And all the adoptions were suppose to be open. Unfortunately, you're mom broke her end of that contract. But you have found the picture and the letter. They weren't destroyed. So in a way, you have been informed, just a little late in life.”
“And my birth father?”
“I don't know who he was. It was always trickier with the fathers. The women didn't know, or they lied that they didn't know. There were few names of fathers, as far as I can remember.”

No comments:

Post a Comment