Sunday, November 22, 2009

I Have To Stop Trying To Write Perfect


What can I say? I'm just going to admit it. I am the ambitious type. Okay, that was a lie. I'm the overachiever type.

Productivity is important to me. I want to see progress, ideally right away. If I can make a list and check off things I have accomplished, I'm in heaven. A list with check marks gives me concrete proof of my productivity.

This month I haven't felt productive. Even though, it looks like I am going to finish my NaNoWriMo novel: 50,000 words! I wanted more produced. For example, I wanted to write more blog posts. But I didn't find time to do it. Okay, that was a lie. Because, if I wasn't so darn concerned about writing perfect posts, I probably would have had time. I wrote this post in less than fifteen minutes.

My problem isn't time. My problem is perfection. Being a perfectionist and an overachiever is stressful. The bottom line is: I have to give up one or the other. I have to stop beating myself up over less than perfect writing. I have to put this goal at the top of my list! I can't wait for the day when I will be able to cross it off. That day will be worth a big celebration.

2 comments:

  1. Do you go in and change some punctuation? Perhaps an adjective or two? Just when you think it is perfect, do you lay in bed and say "Oh, I should have left that part out?" If so, you are doomed with the detail disease. Only known cure is to be published; not only published but acclaimed!

    ReplyDelete
  2. All the time! My writing is never finished. Did you see some stuff that need help? Let me know! I can handle it.

    ReplyDelete