Thursday, November 26, 2009

To Eat Thanksgiving Turkey, Or Not To Eat...

The radio is always on in my car, and yesterday when I was driving home from work, they were talking about turkeys.
"Did you know that the turkeys we buy in the grocery stores are female?" the radio host said.
I didn't know that, I thought.
"Turkeys are breed to have huge breasts because Americans like white meat. And because of their gi-normous boobs, they can't reproduce normally and have to be artificially inseminated."

Okay, needless to say, I felt less excited about eating Thanksgiving turkey. Why do we have to do weird things to animals? Why can't we just accept them as they are? Market economy is the devil; it must be; why else do agricultural scientists create these freak animals? We should eat brown and white meat! But that's just my opinion. We're a nation of spoiled brats.

The radio host moved on to talk about turkey anatomy.
"Did you know that the flap of skin that hangs over the turkey's beak is called a snood?"
No, I didn't. That's a funny term. And it's a funny looking bird, I thought.
"And the red growths on the throat are called caruncle. When the turkey is upset [??!], or excited during courtship, it turns bright red," the radio voice said.
Once at a zoo, I think I saw lady chimps advertise sexual interest by flashing their red fannies to the male chimps. But I'm probably wrong. I should probably check my facts before I post them here.

2 comments:

  1. This may offend someone, but when I was a child, my grandmother would call the little tail-like appendage of the turkey, the Pope's nose. We were not Catholics. I also recall someone telling me tukeys were so stupid that when it rained they would look up at the sky and drown. Do you think that could be true?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hahaha! I don't know if they're stupid, but they sure look funny.

    ReplyDelete