Friday, November 6, 2009

Looking For A Free Writing Software?

A friend from NaNoWriMo told me about a free writer's software program for writing novels. It was called yWriter5.

I downloaded it and tried it out on my NaNoWriMo novel. It has a lot of cool functions. Little boxes where you write down character descriptions, special places to write chapters and scenes descriptions, other places for notes and so on. In short, the program helps a writer organize his or her novel material, to make it easy to overview, and also to find details without having to seek through pages and pages of writing. Many writers use handwritten index cards, or create a story poster boards. This program replaces these. And keeps track of word count!

yWriter5 is a really cool program. And free. And totally up my alley. But after experimenting with it for an afternoon, I went back to writing in my Open Office Writer instead. It's something to be said for simplicity and comfort, a place where I know what I am doing. This doesn't mean I am turning my back on ywriter5. But for now, I'm giving it a rest.

No comments:

Post a Comment