Wednesday, December 30, 2009

New Year's Resolutions Parents Need To Make For 2010

According to my Swedish parenting magazine source, "Allt om barn", there are eight New Year's resolutions we need to make for next year.

1. Accept that you don't have to be a perfect parent.
Good one! I hate having to be perfect, but it's easier said than done, especially when the guilt factor kicks in. "Mom! All my friends have a/get to ____" (fill in the blank).

2. Spend time with your kids.
Quality time, not quantity time! My daughter and I are together a lot, but I am bad at listening and being present. I will try to improve next year.

3. Take care of your body.

Fitness is important, and it's important to be a fitness role model. I am good at staying in shape, but there are few sports my daughter and I enjoy doing together. Our sport personalities don't mesh well. This was true until a couple of weeks ago when my neighbor knocked on our door and handed over two tennis rackets and a ball. It turns out, we like learning to play tennis together!

4. Learn to love chaos.
Wow! No can do. I have control issues.

5. Have dinner together everyday.
My husband works evenings, but my daughter and I sit down to dinner every night. And on weekends, all three of us are there.

6. Find time to be together with your spouse.
This year, we have had a lot of alone-time. I work between 4:30 and 7:30 in the morning, and my husband leaves for work 2:30 in the afternoon. It has been a real luxury. Next year, when I am in school full-time, I will look back at this year with envy.

7. Keep in touch with friends.
And work on making new friends! I know lots of people who are too content with their circle of friends and close themselves up to new contacts.

8. Be grateful for the time you spend with your kids.
Sometimes, I forget this, especially when my daughter doesn't want to get out of bed and takes an hour to eat her cereal. But conflicts are part of life, we can't just go around and be grateful all the time. If we don't fight, we miss out on making up!

No comments:

Post a Comment