Thursday, December 3, 2009

What I Didn't Know About J.R.R Tolkien.

I missed out on a lot of reading as a child. It didn't interest me. Luckily, my mother read to me at bedtime, but it was usually mysteries from the Christian youth book club she subscribed to, and works from Swedish (I'm Swedish!) contemporary children's authors. The only classic, except for the Bible, I remember her reading to me was by Frank Baum --The Land of Oz--books, and which we both loved.

Needless to say, I have a lot of reading to do to catch up. My list of classics that I want to read, or think I should read, is long, and right now it's time for The Hobbit.

Having grown up in a fine-arts-vacuum, I had to Google J.R.R Tolkien to get the scoop on the guy. Yes, I know! I should know who he was. Be gentle with me. I'm trying here!

Anyway, so for those of you, like myself, who don't know --he grew up and died in England (1892-1973). He was this dry Oxford professor who was interested in languages. According to the article I read (see source below), he even studied Finish! Why? Beats me!

He became rich and famous in the 1960s when American hippies discovered that reading Lord of the Rings and simultaneously getting high on LSD was an excellent combination. Tolkien had to change to an unlisted phone number because crazy Californians called him in the middle of the night (7 pm USA time) asking him "---whether Frodo had succeeded or failed in the Quest---"
(http://www.tolkiensociety.org/).

So far, I'm only twenty pages into The Hobbit, but I am already appreciating the wonderful and creative language. How about those names: Bilbo Baggins, Gandalf, Balin and Dwalin --to just name a few. I love it!

No comments:

Post a Comment