Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Books On Writing. My Review List. 1

This is not a review list yet, but I hope that it will become one. As I read books on writing, I will post my reviews on them here, and tell you what I think.

First out is Stephen King's "On Writing".

Title: On Writing
Author: Stephen King
Rating (poor/fair/good/very good/excellent): Good!
Comments: The first half of this book are King's memoirs, and the second half are his views on the craft of writing. Somehow, this book-sandwich (two subjects slapped together inside the same book cover) didn't work for me, hence the low rating.
Favorite Quote (s):
"Life isn't a support-system for art. It's the other way around.” (p.101)
"One of the really bad things you can do to your writing is to dress up the vocabulary, looking for long words because you're maybe a little bit ashamed of your short ones.” (p.117)
“The most interesting situations can usually be expressed as a What-if question: What if vampires invaded a small New England Village? ('Salem's Lot')” (p.169)

Previous posts: "What Should I Do With My Life?", "What I Didn't Know About J.R.R Tolkien"

No comments:

Post a Comment