Monday, January 18, 2010

How Many Books Are You Reading 2010? January Update

This year I have decided to try to read 15 books. We are already three weeks into January, and so far I am doing fair on my reading goal. I can report that I have finished 1,5 fiction books. The first one was Barefoot by Elin Hilderbrand, see review below. And the second one, the one I didn't finish, was The Hobbit by J.J.R. Tolkien.

I really tried with The Hobbit. But after two renewals at the library, I finally gave up. Every time I was in the mood to read, my hand reached for another book, or a magazine. Life is too short to finish a book which isn't doing its job. Entertain me! Of course, I am not even thinking of checking out The Lord of the Rings.

Currently I am reading White Fang by Jack London, and two non-fiction books about running. Compared with The Hobbit, which was a disappointment, White Fang is climbing my personal Top Ten List. Jack London wrote like a poet. His metaphors and ways with words takes my breath away. I read and shiver form goosebumps. It's funny. I find myself re-reading passages because they're so beautiful. That's a first, actually, for me.

Book Review: Barefoot By Elin Hilderbrand.
Barefoot is a light and easy read. It's the perfect book to bring on a long plane ride, or for a lazy weekend in bed. It contains all the key chick-novel ingredients: romance, love, heartbreak, obsession, drama, and all sorts of twists and turns. I found myself quickly attached to Hilderbrand's characters, and they held my attention throughout the entire 504 pages.

A bit curious about Barefoot? Here is the back cover synopsis:
"---Vicki is trying to sort through the news that she has a serious illness. Her sister, Brenda, has just left her job after being caught in an affair with a student. And their friend Melanie, after seven failed in vitro attempts, is pregnant at last --but only after learning that her husband is having an affair. They have come to escape, enjoy the sun, and relax in the calming seaside air. But into the house [on Nantucket], into their world, steps a twenty-two-year-old Josh Flynn. --"

If you want to read this book, you can leave me a comment, and I'll mail you my copy!

Previous Posts: "What I Didn't Know About J.J.R. Tolkien" , "How Many Books Are You Reading 2010?"

2 comments:

  1. I can understand your choices, Josh sounds a whole lot more interesting than Bilbo Baggins. And every book you read does not have to be an acclaimed classic. We all need a little diversion sometimes. I just read a great little book (1973 Newbery winner) Slave Dancer about a 13 year old boy from New Orleans pressganged onto a slave ship. Pretty serious reading for kids, but so well written.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, mixing it up is best. Bilbo Baggins is a cool name. I give Tolkien that much.

    ReplyDelete