Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Shopping For An Alarm Clock, A Not So Obvious Milestone

When my daughter was a baby, I took pictures and documented every little step in her development, but as she has grown older my documentation has slowed down dramatically.

It's not like she isn't growing and developing anymore. She's only ten! But somehow, I've become more lazy, or maybe since I can't see the physical development happening as rapidly, I forget to look and don't notice. Am I a bad mother? Perhaps.

Now, I will rectify this poor behavior by writing down and sharing something that happened the other day. My daughter asked her dad if she could have her own alarm clock since she wanted to get up 30 minutes earlier in the mornings. This was after she asked him to wake her up earlier, and he said no.

My husband shared this with me, and asked if I could take her shopping. Well, you know! The first thing that crossed my mind was BOYS! My little baby wants extra time to fix her hair. Later, after some reflection, I realized how huge this was. She is taking a small step towards adulthood and trying to become independent. Ohh.., I was proud. (You can't see it, but I am wearing a great big smile as I am writing this.)

Soon it will be time to shop for bras and talk about those boys...

Previous posts: Do You Have A Tweenie At Home?
New Year's Resolutions Parents Need To Make For 2010

2 comments:

  1. How healthy you are, not to try to yank her back into a more comfortable zone! I can visualize you smiling but Madame Susan foresees some grimacing in the future. Boy business in not for the feint of heart! I am ashamed to admit it, but my very first boyfriend still lives in a very dusty corner of my brain, despite my attempts to evict him!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Of course, the only man in my brain is the man I am married to (also a reader of this blog!).

    It's hard to be a mom and know that your baby's heart will be broken over idiot boys who didn't deserve her feelings. But that's life.

    ReplyDelete