Saturday, February 6, 2010

Walmart Shoppers Are Going Green

I care a lot about what I eat, and lately I've been converting more and more to organic products. But I'm not shopping at those crazy-expensive health food stores. I shop at Walmart and Publix.

In the last couple of years, I have observed with great enthusiasm how the number of reasonably priced organic alternatives have increased. They are slowly but surely finding their way into every section of the big, chain, grocery stores. Publix is doing a better job than Walmart --but Walmart is not far behind.

Most of the environmental news I read about in the media is depressing. So I feel that this new influx of organic products in stores like Walmart is a positive trend worth pointing out. It gives me hope for the future.

Just think about it for a moment. Walmart hasn't changed. They don't care about the environment. They care about profit and sell what people buy. So what has happened? The change that has taken place is in the way their customers are shopping.

Every time you purchase a product, you "vote" for that product to be reordered and restocked on the shelf. This means that enough Walmart shoppers have decided to "vote" organic. It's really that simple.

Many times I think we forget that I, the consumer, have all the power, not the rich corporate executives. I shop; I vote! So next time you ask yourself: "What can I do about the environment? I am just one person." Buy an organic apple!

Previous posts: Foods I No Longer Eat

3 comments:

  1. And puhleeze, do not use those dreadful plastic bags!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, I thought we had an oil crisis in this country!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Last time I was at Walmart, the check out lady told me that soon there will be no more plastic bags!!! We will all have to bring our own. Seems it is a law not yet in effect, and Federal, I believe. Hooray! except I won't have anything to put my dog's poop in, sorry to be so indelicate.

    ReplyDelete